TOKU’GAWA CADRE - refurbishment project

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
El'Iey'Asu
Shas

TOKU’GAWA CADRE - refurbishment project

Post#1 » Sep 30 2009 08:45

TOKU’GAWA CADRE- refurbishment project which has been in stasis for the past two years.
These old pictures are the starting points for future work which may once again stall as I've just downloaded Broken Steel for Fallout3 on the PS3. :sad: and I now feel a Tyranid refurbishment project bubbling away.

Aun Takeshi Kaga - in need of a rebuild. He needs to be taller and have some robe remodelling.

Shas' El Toshiro Kandagawa
Shas’ El Iey’asu - still waiting painting up.

Shas’Vre BodyGuard Kow Yokoyama & Matsudaira Tadayoshi Two of the Commanders Bodyguard special issue C-suits featuring the now popular Tael heads. both have shoulder mounted enhance missilepod weapons.

Kuroda XV8 CRISIS BATTLESUIT TEAM. Pretty standard suits except for head mods.

Hideaki - XV13 STEALTH TEAM - FW conversions.

Yoshimune XV25 STEALTH TEAM & Batu XV25 Rogue Team

Kato, Furuta, Tsutsui FIRE WARRIOR TEAMS
Oda-Honour Guard FW Team - in need of some extra bling. The Tau version of FlashGitz :D

- - - Aux Troop Team - in concept stages-utilising spare FW legs

Mototsuna, Fukushima PATHFINDER TEAMS - including Women's Auxilliary Leader
These were the first Tau conversions. Some are green stuff torso on FW legs. I want to give these guys more hi-tech equipment along with backpacks and also decide on a camo scheme too.

Kuchiki KROOT CARNIVORE SQUAD - led by shaper with Pulse Rifle still awaiting painting.
Now including Kroot Beak Hounds based on concept by Warlord Imp
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13783&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Wakizaka MOBILE CLOSE ASSAULT (VESPID) TEAM

Todo Takatora XV88 BROADSIDE BATTLESUIT TEAM.
Also impending project for bulkier & bigger XV88's using two cheap Japanese Anima suits.

Shigemasa, Yoshikatsu, Tamehiro SNIPER DRONE TEAMS

Devilfish - Mayuko Takata

DevilFish(Pathfinder S/O) - Major Motoko Kusanagi - still under construction
Based on GreyDeath's Razorfish.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3161&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hammerhead - Kei Mizutani

Hammerhead - Keiko Nadachi - still under construction

Piranha BC - Honda Tadakatsu -the first Piranha was originally unsucessfully painted vomit brown with olive mottle.

Piranha FB - Terazawa Hirotaka

Skate/TX42 - Gamo Bit'chu Multi-role skimmer.
Last edited by El'Iey'Asu on Oct 07 2009 10:22, edited 4 times in total.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: TOKU’GAWA CADRE - refurbishment project - placeholder

Post#2 » Oct 03 2009 12:01

I must say, the first picture was misleading as to the quality of this army. Your camo pattern is excellent.

paulson games
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 03 2009 01:15

These look great, I really like the pirannah conversions.

Do you have any close ups of the weapon on this one?

I really like the japanese naming and theme.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

minamoto
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 03 2009 01:54

Konichi wa El'Iey'Asu-san, *bows deep*

these are some very well executed conversions. I am really impressed by your Phiranas and like Paulson-san mentioned I also would love to see some close ups of your second XV88.
I also have to keep your "Vespid-Team" conversion in mind for my second team of Pathfinders.

And while you are taking new close ups ;) please, explain how you do your camo-sheme. It looks like the reflections under water on the bottom of the sea, only this is yellowish instead of blue.

All in all a Great Cadre. Very impressive and very well executed.

El'Iey'Asu
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 04 2009 06:36

paulson games: a closeup of the converted XV88. I wanted the Railguns to look more like my Pathfinder's RailRifles.
It uses a Kroot gun muzzle, Skyray marker light bits, square section plastic tube, Fusion blaster, Burst canon barrel.

The Tokugawa Cadre's leader Aun'Kaga has an obsession with ancient terran Japanese culture. Kaga's infatuation had started after receiving an information packet from one of his mysterious WaterCaste advisors who had discovered video images of something called "IronChef" apparently overseen by a personage called Chairman Kaga. Aun'Kaga soon became interested in other unrelated aspects of this Japanese culture such as Sekigahara and The Ghost in the Shell. As a result he renamed his Cadre and all troops to reflect these influences and now most of Cadre can't remember their real Tau names.

:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear:
The scheme was originally to emulate the affect of water shadows like you often see on whales, sharks & submarines.
In this case it was based a fur seal from a wildlife calandar as its skin was mainly brown & grey.

Main Colours used
Chaos black.Codex Grey.
Scorched Brown
Bestial Brown
Vomit Brown
Bleached Bone.

The vehicles start with a black base coat then sucessive coated up to a uniform Vomit Brown base coat on the upper surfaces with a uniform Bleached Bone for the undersides.

Then apply a set of random thickness and intensity cris-crossed lines using a mix of Bleached Bone/vomit brown. At points where the lines cross use a lighter mixture with mostly Bleached Bone.

Go over panel lines with a Chaos Black/Scorched Brown mix using a fine brush.

The Railgun/IonCanon barrels have a base coat of ChaosBlack, followed by ChaosBlack/Codex Grey lines.

The Broadsides and Skate use a slightly different approach with a set of Vomit Brown/Bestial Brown cris-cross lines before adding another off-set pattern of Vomit Brown/Bleached Bone lines over the top of them. These give a more geometric look.

Now for some actual refurbishments:
Shas’Vre BodyGuard - Kow Yokoyama - applied mottled camo & transfers waiting further detailing and matt coat.

Shas' El Toshiro Kandagawa - replaced ''visage'' head.

Kuchiki KROOT CARNIVORE SQUAD's Beak Hounds based on concept by Warlord Imp.
Blue/yellow Macaw style. Still debating about applying a white & black striped cheek area.
Red/Green King Parrot style.

mangozac
Kor

Re: TOKU’GAWA CADRE - refurbishment project

Post#6 » Oct 04 2009 06:56

Nice work 'Asu!
Despite his "squatting to take a crap" pose [did you *have* to draw attention to that?! :crafty: ~ Eigle], I actually really love the converted XV88.

Whilst I love the camo style you've used on the tanks, I don't think it has translated too well to the battlesuits. It just seems a little messy to me. Perhaps the mottled effect is a bit too overdone - I think it would look better if the ochre and white colours were solid except for the gradient between the two... :-?

And whilst I'm in a nit-picking mood a little more prep before painting seems like it wouldn't go astray. Little things like cleaning up seams/joins (especially on the kitbashed parts) make all the difference.

Keep up the good work!

minamoto
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 04 2009 07:03

Thanks for the explaination of your scheme, great intention. Unlike Mangozac I do like mottled effect on your "Stake". I did something similar on my suits, just in red tones. But with your colour scheme it turns out better.

Keep the good work up ;)

paulson games
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 06 2009 02:40

I like the camo patterns, I think a slightly smoother transition would help a bit but overall I like the effect quite a bit and might give it a try on some of my suits. I'd seen the water camo before in blue, but making it in the brown and ochre tones is brilliant and gives them a tiger like appearance, really good stuff.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Return to “Project Logs”