I am taking a 1750 Farsight list to a local tournament in a couple of weeks, and the main reason I picked Farsight was that it would give me an opportunity to model him. I am not a fan (putting it mildly) of the official Farsight model, so I bought another Shas'o R'myr from Forgeworld and turned him into Commander O'Shovah.
For his Dawn Blade I quickly settled on the Wraithlord's weapon as the one to use, but I couldn't get a hold of the piece from any of the bits sites. I bit the bullet, ordered a Wraithlord hand and scratchbuilt the sword from plasticard.
I printed out a photo of the sword from one of the bits sites at various scales, picked the one I wanted, glued it to some 2mm plasticard and cut it out.
For the handle, I used the chain from a Chaos defiler close combat weapon.
His hand is from the Wraithlord kit.
I couldn't use the forearm that came with R'myr, as it had the twin plasma rifles attached, so I carefully trimmed a normal XV8 arm, cutting the joint just above the elbow, then sliced through the elbow joint leaving only the outer side remaining. After that I drilled a hole in the elbow for the resin upper-arm piece to slot into.
The metal Tau symbol on the sword came from my bits box, and thanks to Old Shatter Hands I now know that it comes from the Farsight kit itself! How I came to have Farsight bits in my bitsbox I have no idea, but that's what I call serendipity.
To ensure the necessary strength in the sword, I drilled a 0.5mm hole in the top and bottom of the hand, and corresponding holes in the sword and handle, pinning them with some brass rod through the hand.
On the reverse of the sword, I needed something to cover up the weapon slot in the forearm, so took fuel cells from two fusion blasters and connected them with more of the 0.5mm brass rod.
Adding the plasma rifle to his left (shield) arm was simplicity itself, as it fits in snugly just in front of his hand. I considered using the left hand from a Wraithlord, but after blutac-ing it in place decided it didn't really look right. A piece clipped from a pulse carbine covers the join between plasma rifle and hand.
Since taking these, I have done a tiny amount of greenstuffing at some joins, and I am now in the middle of painting him.
I have also made a larger, 50mm base for him. He looks better mounted on that, and I will take both along to the competition, in case anyone objects to the larger base size.
Here is a scale shot vs a Killa Kan:-