[Review] Citadel Miniatures - Commander Farsight 2013

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

[Review] Citadel Miniatures - Commander Farsight 2013

Post#1 » May 12 2013 10:05

CITADEL MINIATURES - Commander Farsight 2013

UPC Number: 9931011301151
Part Code: 99810113020

Price: $60 CAD (Available from online sources at an alternative price).

Scale/Size: 28mm

Where Available: Your FLGS, A GW retail location, GW's Website, and various other online retailers.

Notes: Five parts trees, limited pose ability, 40mm plastic base included, decent instructions.

Introduction/History: This is the second incarnation of O'Shovah, the legendary commander of the Farsight Enclaves. The original model shared a common plastic chassis with the ubiquitous XV-8 Crisis suit we all know. This rendition seems to visually be comparable to the new Commander model, with a similar (if not identical) torso shape and pelvis/pivot. Citadel has released this model in the notorious Finecast range of models, utilizing a plastic/resin hybrid material which is soft and malleable.

The Product: This model kit comes in flimsy plastic clam-shell packaging. I did not receive what I would guess is the typical packaging due to the nature of the sale of the item, so to be fair, a more substantial box may have been present. Upon opening I found 5 sprues of very light grey, soft, and flexible resin which is by know well known to purchasers of GW's Finecast range. My initial feelings of cast quality are not flattering, but I will explain the pros and cons intermittently throughout this review. Also included is a plastic 40mm round base which most of use are familiar with as the 'medium' base. A set of folded booklet style instructions are a nice touch, with decent CAD generated art acceptable assembly ideograms and flow lines.

Building: While I will not be building this model for the review, I will point out some issues that I think with GW's price point, should not be present. The medium and subsequent lack of poses is my first major gripe. I feel that with a new release comes an opportunity to really give customers something exciting and functional. GW definitely did give us an incredible model of Farsight, with details and design cues not found elsewhere in the range and an obvious style detachment from the rest of the range. What GW did not give us, was a model of injection molded plastic which we could convert and pose with little or no effort. All that said I'm still happy we have this product.

Below are some images of the sprues, and a brief description of pros/cons I found.

The jumping legs are grouped here with the foot piece attached to rubble/rock.

The head is also present on this sprue, the left side antenna/sensor molded in place with no option for the right. Modelers will have to raid their spares box if they wish to equip their Commander with two.

The next sprue holds both jetpack sides, this view details the exterior sides.

The flip side details the interior sides of the jetpack.

Next comes the torso halves (which surprised me, but given the economics of hollowing out the torso, makes sense), the sensor/spine, and the static shoulder armor.

The various small appurtenances found throughout the design of this model have extra passages to allow air and resin to flow/escape. These will require tedious cleaning up with a sharp blade and files.

The plasma rifle arm and shield. The hands of this model are posed in the extended style, which is a nice touch.

Copious venting and many flow channels are required to allow this material to find each nook and cranny within the mold. This is evident by the plethora of strands which you will have to carefully remove.

The sword arm sprue also carries the banners/ribbons. This seems to be the best of the sprue so far, which is counter intuitive considering the parts involved. The bubble on the Dawnn Blade being the only real concern.

The details around the wrist here are fine and well executed.

Here, I included the base for a sense of scale and to contrast textures.

A close up of the back of the head reveals miniscule air bubbles in a tricky location to correct them.

While the fine louvres on the intake for the jetpack are beautiful in GW examples found online, reality yields another story. To the left, the mold seam is too obvious and really detracts from the initial effort put into what could be a stunning model.

...Another crude mold seam.

Given the imperfections found throughout, evidence points to most issues being along unintelligent mold separation choices. This shield part does not suffer from any obvious flaws, possibly thanks to its isolation in the mold?

Options: The only option presented to the builder in this kit, is the ability to pose the head at whichever angle they wish. Another possible option which is not mentioned and not necessarily possible is an alternate rotation of the waist.

Conclusion: While I am very happy to have this model in my hands, I feel a bit let down by the lack of quality one might expect upon spending this amount of money on a special character. It is easy to complain about price points these days, and so I digress on the matter back to the quality issue. With no real reason as to why GW couldn't/hasn't handled mold seams in a better fashion, I find it hard to stomach the results of their "Finecast" line while I have personally poured castings of higher quality employing basic methods. I would only recommend this model to hobbyists who absolutely have to have it, and want to warn them to be prepared for some work ahead when finishing.

modelglue

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: [Review] Citadel Miniatures - Commander Farsight 2013

Post#2 » May 12 2013 12:58

This is very interesting and useful, modelglue.

E.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: [Review] Citadel Miniatures - Commander Farsight 2013

Post#3 » May 12 2013 05:54

Thanks Eig,

I've added the rest of my intended review and posted some more pictures.

modelglue

Return to “Reviews”