Custom Piranha

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Custom Piranha

Post#19 » Feb 14 2016 04:13

That's awesome! Really interesting to see how you expend the Tau aesthetics. I'm very interested in non-combat projects that give a look into a life of a Tau citizen. While it's still for military purpose, it has a lot more personality, it's a lot easier to see how the interaction will be. Waiting eagerly for more!

hazmatt
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#20 » Feb 15 2016 01:54

That looks really neat! It reminds of some conversions I did a while back.

And that...roof?...is not without precedent. Pathfinder Tetras have that and more.

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Feb 15 2016 11:14

Much much better!

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Feb 15 2016 02:31

I really like your new design. Defiantly shows functionality of your roof. Keep up the hard work and I can't wait to see it painted.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

redtide
Shas

Post#23 » Feb 21 2016 03:36

It's time again for this weeks' update!
I finally was able to set up a mini painting booth and my airbrush. It's been almost exactly a decade since I last held an airbrush and it feels so good to be back! Here you see is my progress this Saturday afternoon, I decided on going Farsight Enclaves on this little skimmer and I'm still working on the paint scheme at the moment. I will be adding some grey panels here and there and pick out more details before I try my hand at weathering.

Have you guys seen the new Farsight Enclaves decal sheet? I can't wait to get one!

@onmyou - Thanks! I'm still researching on other civilian stuff I can add on to this like water bottles, food containers, sleeping bags, etc. I just have to make sure it fits with the aesthetics of this vehicle and the Tau. =)

@hazmatt - Thanks! I'd love to see some of your conversions if you still have photos of them.

@Zigmunth & Chris in the socal - Thanks guys!

Exzendar
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Feb 21 2016 06:13

it looks really nice!
like prepared for long time scout mission.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Feb 21 2016 10:19

The basic colour outlines convinced me on it's potential.
I do hope you left it semi-detachable, since it'll be near impossible to get a paint brush (in desired angle) near the pilots!

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

redtide
Shas

Post#26 » Feb 21 2016 01:22

Exzendar wrote:it looks really nice!
like prepared for long time scout mission.

Thanks! Soon it will be ready!

ShasODerpy wrote:The basic colour outlines convinced me on it's potential.
I do hope you left it semi-detachable, since it'll be near impossible to get a paint brush (in desired angle) near the pilots!

-Derp

Hi Derp, I'm working on color placement at the moment, hopefully it won't look too busy when it's done.
Yes, the top is detachable as well as the bottom tray where the pilots are. If you look closely, the arms of the pilots are magnetized as well so it's easier to paint.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Feb 22 2016 09:40

This is looking very nice! I may have to start thinking about adding in some bespoke units to my army.... Maybe a special command hammerhead for Longstrike. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.

redtide
Shas

Post#28 » Feb 27 2016 01:46

Here's another update! I tried weathering with powders and I hope I didn't overdo it but for me this is at least 75% done. I also tried to do some edge lighting but I don't think I'm successful yet, it still looks very flat. I still need to paint the pilots and drones as well as small details on the lenses and such. To finish off, I will be adding the pilot's names on the side and maybe some Tau sept marks on some panels? Please let me know what you think or if you have more ideas to improve this.

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:This is looking very nice! I may have to start thinking about adding in some bespoke units to my army.... Maybe a special command hammerhead for Longstrike. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.

Thanks! You should definitely build that custom command hammerhead, adding custom units really add a lot of interest to armies, painful to make but very satisfying in the end! I'm almost done with this and I plan to get this done this weekend. I can't wait to move into my next project!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#29 » Mar 24 2016 02:27

Dude, where's the flames? I wanted flames! O'Shova wanted flames! Hey, even the Dawn Blade wanted flames?

Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#30 » Apr 06 2016 06:42

Asking redtide permission, I created a 3D model from this conversion.
Model is quite achieved, but I need inputs about how to enhance it.
Particularly, about the usefulness of the rear structure (compared to make one from metal wires), overall shapes, details, size, ...

Model with two doors assembled open.
All doors could be assembled opened or closed.
With some drill and pinning, hinges could be totally functional.
The limits of 3D print makes the hinges on 1mm thick doors too weak to be print ready.

Model on a piranha blueprint

Parts to assemble:

redtide allowed me to put it on my Shapeways shop for people wanting to order this model. It will be online as soon as I consider it finished.
(current model price is around $15 in White Strong Flexible, $25 in Frosted Ultra Detail, and may be reduced by around $5 with some optimizations and if the rear structure is not printed)

Thanks again to redtide for this inspiring conversion.

Return to “Modelling”