6th edition Tau Tactics: the "Tau Bastion"

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
shasolozo
Shas

Re: 6th edition Tau Tactics: the "Tau Bastion"

Post#21 » Nov 26 2012 06:36

im2randomghgh wrote:
Fetterkey wrote:Using the Sniper Drone spotter to fire the Quad-gun seems like an idea with definite potential, but you have to ask yourself whether sacrificing a railgun slot in favor of Sniper Drones is a worthy option.

I wouldn't recommend spending the points for fortifications at anything below 2000, where the double FOC makes taking all the HS goodness you want fairly easy.

Another option for it, in case you really want 3x6 broadsides, is to take a monat deathrain+ Team Leader with a HWMT to fire 6 TL BS4 S7 shots a turn.

How would one crisis suit get 6 shots with a misslepod?

Lakshman
Shas

Post#22 » Nov 26 2012 06:47

shasolozo wrote:
im2randomghgh wrote:
Fetterkey wrote:Using the Sniper Drone spotter to fire the Quad-gun seems like an idea with definite potential, but you have to ask yourself whether sacrificing a railgun slot in favor of Sniper Drones is a worthy option.

I wouldn't recommend spending the points for fortifications at anything below 2000, where the double FOC makes taking all the HS goodness you want fairly easy.

Another option for it, in case you really want 3x6 broadsides, is to take a monat deathrain+ Team Leader with a HWMT to fire 6 TL BS4 S7 shots a turn.

How would one crisis suit get 6 shots with a misslepod?

I believe what was meant were 2 shots with missile pod and 4 shots with Crisis operated quadgun.

MastertheSword
Shas

Post#23 » Dec 03 2012 08:34

I've used the bastion and I like it. Not only is it good for the Quad Gun and for sheltering a unit, it also is good to deny LOS completely for a unit of XV8. I prefer to use a unit of Broadsides inside. I use a target lock on the Team leader in case there's a target on a different side of the Bastion. I did try using my Dark Reapers inside, but they didn't have the same range to reach the entire board.
I had a disagreement with an opponent about Skyfire with my Commander using the JSJ tactic to man the quad gun. He said that only the shots fired from the quad gun have the Skyfire rule. For the sake of time, I let it go since it was getting late. But The Rule says
p. 42 BRB
Skyfire
A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this speacial rule fires using its normal ballistic skill whhen shooting at Flyers...

It seems that even the missile pods could be fired at normal BS. Mainly this would be useful just to speed things up since I could all the dice at once, but it could be helpful against the heavier armored flyers as well.
Anybody know about a clarification on this?
Tau 6th edition Codex record
6- 1- 1
W-L- D

Shas'o Rama
Shas

Post#24 » Dec 04 2012 12:08

When shooting at flyers the quad gun fires at normal BS, ( the quad gun has skyfire, not the suit )
and any other weapon will be snap shots assuming the suit also has a multi-tracker that will allow
another weapon to be fired.

STS17
Shas

Post#25 » Dec 04 2012 08:56

Shas'o Rama wrote:When shooting at flyers the quad gun fires at normal BS, ( the quad gun has skyfire, not the suit )
and any other weapon will be snap shots assuming the suit also has a multi-tracker that will allow
another weapon to be fired.

There is no premise in the rules for this. The rules for skyfire state that a model firing a weapon uses it's normal ballistic skill. All shots are fired simultaneously using the same ballistic skill (there is nothing in the rules that indicate that ballistic skill is determined on a "per-bullet" basis instead of a "per-model" one).
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

SparkSovereign
Shas

Post#26 » Dec 04 2012 09:40

While I can see where you're coming from, the notion of my pistol inheriting the tracking capability of the Stinger missile I'm holding is ludicrous, even if I am somehow firing both at the same target. Our weapons are, of course, more advanced, but the point remains. I find it more sensible to roll separately than to try and walk my opponent through the logic presented here.

Blusox69
Shas

Post#27 » Dec 04 2012 10:15

I thought you could choose to fire either your own weapon or manually fire an emplaced weapon like the quad gun, but not both? Therefore if you choose to fire your missile pod you cannot also fire the quad gun which means you're not firing a weapon with Skyfire and have not gained the rule for your suits weapon.

SparkSovereign
Shas

Post#28 » Dec 04 2012 10:29

Blusox69 wrote:I thought you could choose to fire either your own weapon or manually fire an emplaced weapon like the quad gun, but not both? Therefore if you choose to fire your missile pod you cannot also fire the quad gun which means you're not firing a weapon with Skyfire and have not gained the rule for your suits weapon.

Normally, this is true. We're assuming you have a multi-tracker, which would allow you to fire 2 weapons. (There's also no reason you would choose a Missile Pod over a Quad Gun, if the option is presented.)

Blusox69
Shas

Post#29 » Dec 04 2012 11:17

But the rule book states a multitracker allows the model to fire two battlesuit weapon systems at the same time, not a battlesuit weapon and an emplaced weapon. If I have missed an FAQ then I apologise as I don't have them to hand at the moment.

SparkSovereign
Shas

Post#30 » Dec 04 2012 11:47

Blusox69 wrote:But the rule book states a multitracker allows the model to fire two battlesuit weapon systems at the same time, not a battlesuit weapon and an emplaced weapon. If I have missed an FAQ then I apologise as I don't have them to hand at the moment.

Very first item of the Tau FAQ, available on the GW website. EDIT: Also referenced in the third post of this thread.

Return to “General Discussion”