Shas'nel Longblade - A SimpleXV02 Cadre Fireblade Conversion

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Rizzle
Kor'La

Shas'nel Longblade - A SimpleXV02 Cadre Fireblade Conversion

Post#1 » Apr 16 2013 06:19

Nothing like a new Codex to bring the lurkers out of the woodwork...

Despite - and possibly because of? - a house move and a crippling number of weddings to attend, I found the time to turn Shas'la Longstrike into a Cadre Fireblade. Promotion! The stock Fireblade doesn't really excite me and I have a plan for my Cadre's Hammerhead captain.

The conversion was really straightforward, mixing in components from the Pathfinders kit to make the infantry Longstrike work. This is my first Finecast piece and I'm impressed how much easier it was to work with than the old metal minis were.

Since Longstrike is pretty askew in a leaning pose I decided to let him remain in a commanding pose rather than equipping him with guns in hand. The left arm has been slightly lowered and the left leg snipped off to rotate at the hip after being dunked in hot water and squeezed at the knee and ankle to produce the 'stepping' off the slate base. Being able to make these little changes without clipping it at each joint is a real joy for such a simple conversion.

For now the utility belt is a little stacked. I won't be able to get hold of a pulse rifle for a few weeks. When I do I suspect it will be added a samurai style banner up the back of the armour along with a Pathfinder markerlight piece and possibly the carbine underslung photon grenade launcher.

I'm looking forward to painting him when time allows. It's not the most creative use of the kit but I think it does a good job of conveying a leader calling out a warning or target, relying on the strength of those around them rather than their own Might PowersTM.

N.B. I only found the excellent photography notes as I uploaded the images above. Next time I take a set I'll have a play with the suggested settings. :smile:

Vash
Shas'Ui

Re: Shas'nel Longblade - A SimpleXV02 Cadre Fireblade Conversion

Post#2 » Apr 16 2013 06:25

This will definitely pass as a Fireblade!
Commanding and looks like a war veteran. Thumbs up for this!

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#3 » Apr 16 2013 06:37

That is a quality conversion! "Commanding pose", indeed!

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Post#4 » Apr 16 2013 06:54

Moved to Modelling Forum. An excellent conversion indeed.

E.

Samurai_Aly
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 16 2013 07:00

Great stuff! I would have to agree that the stock fireblade isn't exactly the best model, and I like the XV02 as an infantry suit.

FrozenNights
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 16 2013 07:10

First off this is one amazing conversion and I hoped you don't mind I am totally going to borrow this for my own army (whenever I manage to get around to modeling again at any rate).

Second, and I am sorry if it is inappropriate for me to bring it up here, but this conversion made me think of it. Why the heck is the stock Longstrike modeled hanging out of his Hammerhead when his fluff says the whole point of his fancy XV02 suit is so he can pilot the Hammerhead by himself? Not only should there be no need for any Tau tank commander to get out of his tank to look around like it was World War II what with their scanners, video feeds, and drones, but even more so since he is the ONLY ONE in his tank it makes no sense that he would do this. I realize there of course would be no need for a model and then we wouldn't have this amazing conversion here to inspire us, but still it bothered me enough to write this entire paragraph. Ok, now everyone go back to giving this guy praise on his excellent work!
Defy gravity. Da'Aloh(FrozenNights)

L0rdM0nki
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 16 2013 10:48

Very nice. The simple addition of the binoculars really sells it as an infantry leader.

I look forward to the addition of the banner! Otherwise, the only thing one might add would be a greenstuff braided topknot hanging over his left shoulder similar to the actual Fireblade model.

Good stuff Rizzle!

Return to “Modelling”