Custom Piranha

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
redtide
Shas

Custom Piranha

Post#1 » Feb 08 2016 09:50

Ok, here's my first topic post here in ATT. I had a bit of time this past weekend! :D Having been inspired by the amount of interesting conversions within this amazing forum I decided to start small and have a go at my piranha. First, I was never a fan of how this originally looked so I moved the engines midway and slightly spaced the engine away from the body; I think this gives it a slightly more balanced look. I also added a roll-cage and rack on top and on the back to strap extra items on. I thought it would be cool to model some supplies to add on the racks later. Please note that most of the parts are just dry fitted in the photos. Finally, I added a wind screen to keep the bugs away from the pilot! :P All the metal bits/paper clips used are sourced from my local friendly dollar store.

Siyath
Shas

Re: Custom Piranha

Post#2 » Feb 08 2016 12:51

I like the wing conversion. Not a fan of the roll-cage, though, but otherwise really digging the result. I'd love to see this painted.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#3 » Feb 08 2016 01:34

I really like the whole conversion!

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 08 2016 04:09

I initially thought the thing on top was a surf board! You know, just a couple of Firewarriors heading to the beach for the weekend with their longboard. With a board that size they could try and "Hang Ten"... Or, err, "Hang Hooves" as it were...
'Cause I'm a sucker for applying math to things - http://www.grimdarkmath.com

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Feb 08 2016 04:56

So we can expect a metal flake paint job with chrome and flames down the side? ;)

You know you can probably get a couple of those real small 'pip' dice at your local hobby store and glue them together for a pair of hot-rod 'fuzzy dice' on the rear view mirror!

Only thing you need after that is Kroot surfing buddy wearing sun glasses and a Hawaiian shirt and carrying a six pack! "Kowabunga dude!"

Of course a 'blue babe' wouldn't hurt either! :crafty:

The TauMan Abides
"Hang Eight!"
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

redtide
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 09 2016 01:51

Thanks everyone! Haha, yes it kinda looks like something the Tau can take to the beach, maybe I should model it that way, hmmm. :crafty: I really like that fuzzy dice idea =P But what I really want to do is fill it up with accessories strapped everywhere. I don't see enough stuff modeled like backpacks and field tools and such strapped on vehicles in the W40k universe. Ultimately, I want to create an army that looks like they are always on the go and have everything with them.

As for paint ideas, I'm still torn whether to go full on FSE or create something new within the likes of FSE, what do you guys think?

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 09 2016 02:17

I like everything except the wire-work and the 'surf board'

I do think that the Piranha should have a more effective windscreen (or an enclosed cockpit) but this particular assembly just doesn't feel 'Tau' to me. I'd think something more blended in with the body would fit the aesthetic more. Possibly with a segmented top that slides open and closed.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Feb 09 2016 07:35

Reminded me of Jabber's sail barge :)

redtide
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 09 2016 01:43

@Jefffar - Thanks for the input, yeah, I was worried that the mods don't look Tau'ish but I wanted it to look like it was something that was quickly cobbled up in the field using whatever materials they had lying around. I have yet to model the supplies I want to put on the "surfboard" haha! That's my next project this weekend. Speaking of enclosed cockpit, I do have some ideas of what I want to build, I might make one for the other two piranha's I'm planning to get =)

@n1md4 - :biggrin: Yes, I was thinking about a similar landscape to that as I was building this! Nice photo that one!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Feb 09 2016 02:51

FLAMES!!! I WANT BIG O'FLAMES DOWN THE SIDES!

The TauMan Abides
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

redtide
Shas

Post#11 » Feb 09 2016 06:49

TauMan wrote:FLAMES!!! I WANT BIG O'FLAMES DOWN THE SIDES!

The TauMan Abides

You mean something like this? :P

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Feb 10 2016 04:58

That is crazy! :D I love it!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Feb 10 2016 04:59

I'm not sure on the flames but I am interested in seeing what this looks like painted up.

Entil'zha
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Feb 11 2016 01:16

Awesome conversion love the flyer look

redtide
Shas

Post#15 » Feb 14 2016 03:42

Thanks for the kind words guys, now it's time for another update! I made the top rack a bit chunkier, I added some storage compartments on one side and gun rack on the other with some supplies. I also added an antenna on the back as extra detail to "Tau" it a bit more. I'll be adding some straps to the guns to secure them on the rack and bore all the gun barrels and that should be it for this Piranha. :D
This is the first model in my Tau army that I'm starting for this year and I'll hopefully get some time in tomorrow and this week to paint this up. I also finally decided that I'll go with a well dusted up Farsight enclaves scheme for my army and will move this post to the Project logs section as soon as I get my start collecting box in the mail, it's taking forever!

Vet Sgt
Shas

Post#16 » Feb 14 2016 03:49

I wasn’t very fond of that rack on top at first, but now that you have added to it, it’s starting to look very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing it painted.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#17 » Feb 14 2016 04:20

Seeing first this nice conversion I thought of SdKfz 232 and other german armored command car

Now the two Tau needs only kids at the rear with the dog panting at the rear window to be ready to go in holidays in their SUV ! ;)

redtide
Shas

Post#18 » Feb 14 2016 04:35

Vet Sgt wrote:I wasn’t very fond of that rack on top at first, but now that you have added to it, it’s starting to look very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing it painted.

Thanks, I agree - it didn't look Tau initially, there's still little things I want to do but I'm quite happy about it now. It'll be in the paint shop soon!

Kael'yn wrote:Seeing first this nice conversion I thought of SdKfz 232 and other german armored command car

Now the two Tau needs only kids at the rear with the dog panting at the rear window to be ready to go in holidays in their SUV ! ;)

Haha, yes it does! That 232 is an interesting vehicle =) Hmmm, maybe a panting Kroot hound? :biggrin:

Return to “Modelling”